Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Biting

In yesterday's post, I hinted at some kind of something that has interfered with us happily moving into our new house.  I might have overstated it a bit.  It's really only a small thing and doesn't affect us actually getting into the house.  It's merely a nuisance for myself. 

Let me back up and tell you what happened.

Monday morning, we were sitting in the bank signing our mortgage papers.  I noticed that my arm was kind of itchy but nothing too crazy. We finished the paperwork and went on about our day. That evening I noticed that the spot that was itching had a bite mark there, with a white pocket.  Thinking it was an ingrown hair or something, I squeezed it. *Note to self: Never squeeze it!*.   Within a few hours, I noticed I bump where the bite was and around it was starting to get a little inflamed.  Still, nothing too serious.  I put some witch hazel on it and kept going.  The next day I woke up to this:

The red had started to get bigger and a pretty little red streak had started up my arm.  The streak worried my boss and she made me go to the doctor.

After looking at it, the physician's assistant said she wasn't sure what it was that bit me.  Maybe a spider, but not a poisonous one (if it was poisonous, it would have been turning dark colors on me).  She prescribed me an antibiotic and a steroid, plus told me to keep taking my Zyrtec (for the antihistamine.)

After three days, when it wasn't getting any better (and I started to get a little panicky), I went back to the doctor.  By this point, the red had spread even further down my arm and was itching like crazy.  She looked at it again and decided to have the doctor come in to get a look.  

The doctor looked at it and seemed concerned.  He sent me to get about 3 gallons of blood drawn to make sure there was no infection in my body.   Everything but the cultures (still waiting to hear back) came back normal.  He prescribed me another antibiotic and told me to come in the next day to see the doctor at the Saturday clinic. 

The next morning I went in.  I had a few people in the office ask about my arm. Apparently, everyone wanted to see this random, unknown origin of a bite.  The doctor that morning looked at it and was stumped too.  She didn't think it looked like a spider bite, but for sure "something got ya."  She was fairly certain that the red streak was not infection, but just part of the allergic reaction.  To help with the itching, she told me to take Benadryl and Pepcid (apparently the Pepcid helps with the H2?? and should help with the itching.)  I'm suppose to go back Tuesday morning for a follow up.  Supposedly, it's going to take at a minimum 7-10 before it gets better.  Fun, Fun...(or not!)

Every morning looks bad because I've slept on it, but here is what it looks like this morning
It's crazy itchy and warm.

So lets count everything that's currently running through my body.  2 types of antibiotics, 1 steroid, 2 types of antihistamine, and Pepcid (not sure what that is.)  That's 6 pills I have to keep track of and it's not improved today.  Needless to say, I'm so ready for it to be gone!

No comments: