Monday, August 24, 2009

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

So, it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve updated on here, so I thought I should probably get around to doing that. How’s my life been these couple of weeks? I’m glad you asked. We’ll start with the pleasant stuff first. I had my baby shower this weekend (pictures coming soon, I promise) and it was wonderful. There was a great turnout and it was amazing to see all the people there who are excited to see baby sug arrive in October. Speaking of baby sug, she’s been kicking around a lot and I still can’t over how much I love to feel this. My mom and sisters got to feel her for the first time this weekend too and it was such a joy for them to get to share in this excitement.

As for the not so fun stuff, I hate gestational diabetes. No, I abhor it…okay, so I know this means the same thing but the latter just seems to fit better for my situation. A little background: before I was pregnant I was a pretty healthy eater. Organic fruits, vegetable, whole grains, not too many sweets. I tried to be healthy as I could. Once I got pregnant, I craved everything that was “bad” for me. I wanted sugar, and I wanted it all the time. And I thought, you know what Jamie, as long as you don’t eat it all day long you deserve to have a little indulgence and so I did. And then BAM I get hit with this cruel, cruel disease. Now, I not only can’t have the sweets, I can’t even eat the healthy whole grains that I use to eat. Jarrod and I went to a little coffee shop the other day and I got my typical decaf latte (with no sugar) and I look across the room and here’s this lonely guy on his laptop eating probably the worlds best chocolate muffin known to man. Y’know the one, all chocolate with chocolate chips on top. I almost laughed, because here he is, in his own little world probably doing something work related on his computer, mindlessly eating this bundle of goodness with no clue that 3 tables over is an 8 month pregnant woman who wants nothing but to walk over, take the muffin, shove it in her mouth (think cookie monster) and then politely walk away. Instead, I just sat there calmly sipping my latte with a grin on my face (and maybe a little drool.)

Last complaint, I promise. I feel very lucky to not be experiencing much back pain, but oh…my…goodness. Just about every other day, I feel as if a 300-pd man is standing on my pelvis. Now I know baby sug is getting bigger and the pressure is sure to increase, but I mean there are some days I can’t even walk it’s so bad. I explained it to Jarrod like this: imagine someone kicking you as hard as they can in the groin. Now, get up and walk. This is what I feel most days. They tell me it’s normal, but I just don’t know. I just tell myself, it’s increasing my pain tolerance and I can normally deal with it.

…thanks for reading…

No comments: