Monday, January 2, 2012

It's all in the shake

Pretty much, every person reading this (a big thanks to all 3 of you) fit into one of two categories when something embarrassing happens to you and no one else sees it.  You either keep it to yourself or you let it out. 

I am the latter.  So much so that if I don't tell someone, I'm like a balloon stuck to a helium tank, I bust.  It just keeps nagging at me.  As soon as I spill the beans, the nerves go away. Almost like it's okay or not embarrassing if someone else knows too.

Normally, my husband is the lucky person that gets to hear all my silly stories.  This is simply perfect because he is the type that can't stand watching someone else getting embarrassed because it embarrasses him even more to watch it.  Needless to say he is Not a fan of American Idol.

So, the other day I was at work right??  Doing my thang, it was going good.  I had gotten to know my customer a little bit (a man in his late 50's maybe.)   There were some professional juices flowing.  I felt good about myself.  I felt like a real grown up (I'm great at my job, but I look younger than I am so when an adult older than 25 shows me some respect in the business world, I know I did good.) 

We finished what we were doing and he stands up to leave.  I tell him thank you and he reaches out to shake my hand.  At the e.x.a.c.t moment he does this, I pick something up from my desk with my right hand.  What does this leave for me to shake hands with him? Yep, I shook his hand with my left.

Now, I know what your thinking.  Just put the paper down and give him your right.  Of course, if I had had time to pause and think about the situation I would have done just that.  But, as with most things in life, it was a split second.

So instead of a nice firm handshake, he got







...and out went all my business mojo....so embarrassing.

No comments: