Friday, August 5, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I had today off from work and as I was trying to decide what to bake (what? doesn't everyone bake on their day off?) I had these bananas sitting on the counter just staring at me:

"please don't throw us in the garbage.  We may look a little rough on the outside, but we can do so much good if you just gave us a try"

So, I went searching for a banana bread recipe.  My momma has a delicious one, but I don't have the recipe written down anywhere (note to self: get momma's banana bread recipe.) While this recipe isn't in your traditional "bread" shape and I tweaked it just a bit for my tastes, it turned out delicious! Definitely a keeper.


First things first.  This is suppose to be baked in a bundt pan, but I didn't have one.  The closest thing I had was an angel food cake pan (although I have never actually made an angel food cake.)  It worked out just as well, only it might have looked prettier in the bundt pan.


Oil and flour pan








Cream the butter and sugar together

Add eggs one at a time

Add in mashed bananas

Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl


Alternate mixing into the banana/butter/sugar mixture your dry ingredients


with the sour cream
Halfway through I had to switch bowls.  I didn't realize their was going to be so much batter




 
You know I had to add chocolate chips....

Pour batter into pan and bake




Once it's finished, flip it upside down onto a plate.  
This should not be a problem if it was oiled enough at the beginning, but I always get anxious trying to do this.
Place the plate on top of the pan.  The towel protects your hands if the pan is still hot.

Flip upside down.  I normally wiggle it a bit to get anything slightly stuck to the pan shaken loose.


Cross your fingers, say a prayer, wish really really hard.


Remove the pan.  Whew!   (Okay, so I realize this isn't that pretty.  Just imagine it all fluted from the bundt pan.)

 
Cut and eat (preferably with a big glass of cold milk)



The Recipe

Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
1-1/2 C + 2 Tbl of sugar
3 eggs 
1-1/2 C mashed ripe bananas (this was about 4 bananas)
4 C + 2 Tbl all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 C sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease and flour bundt pan

Cream butter and sugar together.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.  Add mashed bananas and mix together.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add dry ingredients and sour cream alternately into the butter/sugar mixture, beating after each addition.   
Stir in chocolate chips

Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 1 hour and 10 min. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  
Invert onto a cooling rack or plate and let cool before slicing.

Source: adapted from the pioneer woman

No comments: