The recipe came from Hershey's and I pretty much followed it to a T (except I used the mini chocolate chips.)
Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt
Stir in chocolate chips (I chose to leave out the nuts)
Pour in whipping cream and stir until just moistened
Pour out onto a floured workspace
Lightly form into a ball.
This is not a yeast dough. Although the directions say knead, don't let this step scare you. Simply work the dough a couple of times so the it stays together and doesn't fall apart.
Separate into three separate balls
With your hands or a rolling pin, flatten each ball into a circle and cut into eight triangles
Transfer to cookie sheet and brush with melted butter (I didn't grease the baking sheets like it says, and I had no issues with them sticking.)
If you want to freeze these, let them cool completely first. After cooled, put them into a ziplock bag and and toss into freezer. When you're ready to eat them, take out desired amount and let stand at room temperature until no longer frozen
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Stir together flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
- Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
- Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Divide dough into three equal balls. One ball at a time, flatten into 7-inch circle; cut into 8 triangles. Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired. 24 scones.